Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ivy Lin Gietzen





Some of my friends and family have asked about Ivy's birth story, so I am going to share it here for those of you who like to read about it.

The Sunday, after Thanksgiving, I started showing signs of going into labor.  We had just spent the evening at a friend's house.  We returned home and about an hour later I started having contractions that were about 7 minutes apart.  As the evening progressed the contractions started becoming more intense and were about 3-4 minutes apart by 6am Monday morning.

We left for the hospital and were evaluated by the nursing staff.  I was only dilated to a 2-3 and was 80% effaced.  We were brought to a delivery suite and I was monitored throughout the morning.  By 1pm my doctor told me that I had not made any progress over the last 14 hours.  I was still dilated at a 3.  Each time I was having a contraction, Ivy's heartbeat would drop significantly.  We found out later that her head was near the birth canal and was squeezed with each contraction.  Her head was tilted sideways (ear into the canal) and with the danger of her heartbeat dropping my doctor recommended a c-section.

I was brought into surgery around 1:20pm.  My team of nurses, NA, doctors, and staff were excellent.  The surgery went well.  I was nervous but tried to stay strong throughout.  Sam was there to hold my hand through the entire thing.  I was strong until I heard her first cry.  At that point, my eyes filled with tears of joy.  I couldn't hold it back any more.

Ivy had had her first bowel movement prior to birth so she was whisked away for evaluation.  Once she was cleared for clean lungs and she was breathing strong she was brought into me and laid on my chest.  One of the best moments of my life.  Again, many more tears.  Such happiness.

The surgery went well.  I was sewn up and Sam went with Ivy for her bath.  We all reunited in our suite and spent sweet, sweet, time together as a family.  Ivy is a great eater.  We are thankful for healthy appetite!  We have had a lot of visitors.  We are thankful for such loving and supportive friends and family.  I am still pretty sore and healing from the surgery.  That will take some time.  Nothing compares to this beautiful miracle.  We are thanking Jesus for this incredible blessing.  Thanks for loving on us, and sharing in our special joy, Ivy Lin :)

About her name:

Ivy is a family name.  We did not know this when we chose the name Ivy, however, Ivy was the name of my maternal grandmother's aunt.  Her aunt Ivy was a beloved elementary school teacher in Minnesota for many years.  The middle name is Lin, after me, her mother (the first 3 letters of my name) and also after her paternal grandmother Linda.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing. Ivy's story sounds very similar to Nora's (while I labored after being induced, I only progressed to a 3 and Nora was showing signs of distress with heavy contractions; she was finally delivered by c-section) I hope you continue to heal well and have time to rest and enjoy the sweet girl of yours! I do love her name! Can't wait to see pictures. Congrats again, Linds (and Sam of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you had to have a c-section.....but so very happy you have a healthy, beautiful little girl!!!
    Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete